Latest Oil Plant Strike Reveals 'No Protected Places in the Russian Far Hinterland'
Ukraine's drones have targeted the Russian Bashneft refinery in the city of Ufa, positioned some 1,400 kilometers from Ukraine, resulting in blasts and a fire, per a informed individual in Ukraine's SBU.
This represents the third Ukrainian security service deep strike in Bashkortostan in the last month. These strikes show that there are no safe places in the far hinterland of the Russia.
Ukrainian President Calls On US President to Facilitate Peace in Ukraine
The Ukrainian leader called on President Trump to broker peace in Ukraine in a call on Saturday.
"Provided that a hostilities can be halted in a single area, then undoubtedly other wars can be halted as well, including the conflict with Russia," the President stated, hailing Trump's "outstanding" Middle East ceasefire plan and urging the US president to compel the Moscow into negotiations.
Moscow's Attacks Take Victims in Ukraine
Russian attacks on Ukrainian territory resulted in the deaths of 5 individuals on Saturday and cut power to areas of Ukraine's south Odesa area, per Ukrainian officials.
Two people lost their lives inside a place of worship in the town when it was struck, as reported by local authorities.
In Russia's border region of Belgorod, a vehicle operator was killed by a Ukrainian strike, according to local officials.
Power Restoration Work in Kyiv
Operations continued on Saturday to repair energy infrastructure in the Ukrainian capital, after strikes by Moscow.
Energy had been restored to over 800,000 inhabitants by Saturday and the major utility provider said the main operations to repair the grid was complete though partial blackouts continued.
Anti-Aircraft Efforts and Drone Downings
Ukraine's air defences downed or disrupted 54 of 78 UAVs from Russia sent towards the country overnight, the military said on Saturday.
The Russian military authorities said it shot down 42 enemy drones over its own soil.
Cuba Refutes Accusations of Deploying Troops to the War
Cuba on the weekend rejected American claims it has deployed troops to fight in the conflict in Ukraine, while declaring the government "do not have exact details about Cuban nationals" participating "on their own" or "as part of the armed units of both sides".
The foreign ministry in the capital announced 26 nationals had been sentenced to prison terms varying between five to 14 years for mercenary activity since September 2023 when reports circulated of Cuban nationals being dispatched to the battlefield in Ukraine.
I Want to Live Program Reports Data on Cuban Recruitment
The program, a official Kyiv program that promotes enemy combatants to give up, reported in spring: "We have confirmed the names and personal details of over a thousand individuals who enlisted with the Russian military in 2023-2024."
The Cuban authorities said of Cuban nationals who might be involved: "Undeniably that not a single one has the support, commitment, or approval of the government in Havana for their activities."
Relatives of Cuban nationals who traveled to Russia in 2023 informed Agence France-Presse at the time that their family members had been misled into enlisting through promotions on online platforms.